Monday 30 April 2012

Amigurumi

I made this Amigurumi panda for Christmas 2011. 


The pattern is a free online pattern I found here: http://angiesartstudio.com/2010/04/09/panda-bear-amigurumi-crochet-pattern-pdf-format/.

I found the pattern while googling for panda-pics and thought it was so cute, I had to try it. The description and what I generally found about amigurumi sounded fairly easy, especially as I consider myself a halfways experienced crocheter. It didn't take me long to find out, though, that this was annoyingly fiddly work.
The first problem for me, of course, was translating all the crochet terms and then following a written description - I'm used to working from charts.


I used a basic polyacrylic yarn, mostly because I wanted plain white and black for colours and the only other option at the local haberdasher's in these colours was cotton, and I doubted if cotton would stay in shape. 
This wool turned out a bit awkward for fiddly work, though, as the single strands of it came apart too easily.


I was also unable to find small enough and black buttons for the eyes - I finally settled for the slightly large copper-coloured buttons I found at the local market.


All in all, I find it cute and idiosyncratic, and it was fun to see it take shape, but overall, it was too fiddly to be enjoyable work for me, so I can't see myself trying more amigurumi in a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment